The mission of Watershed Media is to cultivate shared and commons-based services, resources and infrastructure for public-interest journalists and media producers, and the communities they serve.
- Publish and promote news, information, research and commentary
- Provide fiscal-sponsorship outreach and intake for independent journalists
- Article and content hosting
- Nonprofit program and strategic services
- Advocate for public-interest journalism and news media as post-industrial, post-consumer, and rooted in the commons. We support, advocate for, research and report on alternative media and audience models, including co-ops, shared producer services, public (as opposed to walled) gardens, crowdsourcing, peer-to-peer systems, and community organizing.
- Build capacity in networks of public-interest news and media producers through shared infrastructure for media production, publishing and financing — including fiscal sponsorship, platform co-ops, open-source systems.
- Inspire and facilitate community support for qualified independent producers through aggregation, cross-promotional and crowdfunding services.
The Watershed Media Project is a fiscally sponsored affiliate of Independent Arts & Media — a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization providing nonprofit financial management services to noncommercial, independent media, journalism, arts and cultural programs serving diverse community needs.